Friday, December 23, 2016

A Sinner Saved into a Life of Service

"Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31


What am I really doing with my life?  A simple question that brings me to my knees.  There have always been cycles in the path of my life.  Whether it be cycles of sin (also known as slacking) or cycles of serving God, they have always been there. I can't speak for everyone, but the cycles of not giving everything to God and serving Him completely are a lot easier to fall into sometimes than getting back into the cycles of serving God with all my Heart, Soul, and Mind.

Up until I was 18 (which is when I was saved), my cycles were a lot more sin entrenched.  I had times where I was open and honest about everything I did and still learning that some things really should be kept inside my head.  Other times (more so when I got older and back into public school) I hid things from my parents and acted differently around my different groups I hung out with.  I always went to church, but when I was in high school, I changed, and not for the best.  My speech was "clean" in the world's eyes, and though I knew it was not glorifying to God, I used it when away from my parents and with my closest friends.  I traveled a road that I never should have started down.  One simple thought in one specific relationship I had led to more sinful words and actions that dug me into a pit so deep it affected life with my parents, especially when they discovered what I said behind closed doors.

I had morals to a certain degree and there were parts of me I would keep pure, but other standards were allowed to slip. Unfortunately, this placed a wedge in the trust of my parents. After this, they questioned a lot of what I did and said for a long time, and honestly, I don't blame them.  I love them for it all the more.  My parents were watching out for me, and though I may have not liked it back then, it was truly a blessing.

After I graduated high school, I finally ended up breaking off the relationship that had taken me so low.  It wasn't until after I turned 18, however, that I realized that no matter what specific prayers I had prayed when I was 6 and 12, I had never really given God my whole life and turned from the sin that ruled my flesh and which had fueled my actions for so long.

On May 13 of 2012, I had been at my worst for a while, simply moving from day to day with no real direction except to get to church on Sunday and Wednesday.  I was trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing with my life and why it wasn't what it should be.  That day at church, God was poking me like He had been for a bit, showing me that out of everything in my life, the most important piece was missing, Him.

Honestly, God is THE most important thing we can have in our life as humans.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matt. 16:26)
It is better for us to lose everything to follow God than to gather everything and not follow God, leading us directly to Hell.

That day in May, I gave everything to God, to follow Him with all that I am and ever will be.  I still have moments throughout my life where I struggle to keep my focus on Him, but life is so much sweeter now that I am following God in His way, not mine.  God has been so good to me through everything I have been through, especially when it came to Him saving my soul for Him.

As ragged as my life was, God picked up the broken pieces and is making something beautiful out of it.  I thank Him every day for saving me from my sin and bringing me into the light of His Son.

As the verse at the beginning says, we are to do everything for the glory of God.  What are you doing with your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment