Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Lord's Supper

"For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:" ~1 Corinthians 11:23


So, the other day I was tasked with making the unleavened bread for partaking in the Lord's Supper.  As I was prepping the area I'd be working in, I began to think of the process that the scribes went through when they were preparing to write the name of God onto a manuscript.  Whenever they came to God's name in their copying down of the scriptures they had, they would completely cleanse themselves and change clothes so they would be as pure as possible.  The name of God, even written, to them was so holy and precious that they dared not defile it in any way.

The name of our precious Father, however, is not reverenced quite as much today unfortunately.  His name is used in vain and sometimes we, as Christians, don't even flinch anymore because we have become so accustomed to its abuse.  Are we become so callous that it doesn't matter to us?  Do we use His name, maybe not abusively, but flippantly nonetheless?

As I stood there before the ingredients to go into the bread which was to represent Christ's body that night to others, I asked myself why I was doing this?  Was I doing it simply because it needed to be done?  Was I going to do my best?  This is a solemn observance that I will be a part of, is my heart really in the right place?  Though the real importance is what the finished product would represent that night,  each ingredient that went into the bread was important, just as each of God's children is important.

What we say and do matters.  Our attitude behind actions, the thought patterns behind motivations.  God needs to, and wants to be part of, each and every movement throughout our lives.  Will we include Him in our lives?  Is each step dictated to follow His will, or ours?

With everything we have been given, both material and spiritual, are we living our life for God?  Am I living for God?

How about you friend?  Where is your walk taking you?


No comments:

Post a Comment