Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Sun and The Moon

"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also." ~Genesis 1:16


As I was reading this chapter last night, I was reminded of God's great mercy.  Sometimes when we are moving throughout our day, we tend to focus on the here and now verses on things above.  That's just a fact that us humans represent.  However, there is so much more to our lives than just looking at what is around us and reacting to what is going on.

I love this verse because first of all, it reminds me to look up.  Granted, it's not advised to look directly into the sun, but when the sun is rising or setting, the sky can turn into the most beautiful colors, and God made it that way, just for us.  He didn't have to make all the different colors we have today, let alone all that the sky imparts, but He created it so that we may be reminded that He is in control.

Secondly, it's a good reminder of just who God is.  He perfectly made our universe and solar system so that we get the sunlight we need during the day and the rest we need during the night.  He knew exactly what we would need before we were even created and made everything so that we could survive.

Also, I'm partially one to look for symbolism in verses sometimes when there isn't too much of a stretch to make.  This verse reminds me that though I may be small and insignificant in my own mind, my job is not to shine my own light, but to reflect God's light through my life so that others may see Him.  When the sun shines, many people take for granted that it is there lighting the way, but sometimes it takes to moon for people to realize that the sun really is a bigger part of our life than we realize sometimes and it's strength is beautiful.

I love the simple reminders that are in this verse about God creating the sun and the moon.  Just as the moon has cycles it goes through, so do we throughout our lives, and God is always there to help us.  Even in our darkest hours, there is always light in the morning. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment